Convento de Santa María de Jesús (Las Gordillas), Ávila
The Convent of Santa María de Jesús (also known as Las Gordillas) was founded in 1503 by María Dávila (the widow of Fernando de Acuña, Viceroy of Sicily) near the city of Ávila, with nuns of the order of Saint Clare. The original location, Las Gordillas, takes its name from a variety of holm oaks around it. The sister's community moved in 1551 to a temporary seat in Ávila, and in 1557 to a new convent outside the walls of the city, where they remained until 1971, when the nuns moved to a new modern convent also in Ávila. See more information in: <http://www.clarisasavila.org/las-gordillas/> and in Moreno Blanco (2015).
List of persons
How to cite
María Gembero-Ustárroz, "Convento de Santa María de Jesús (Las Gordillas), Ávila", Books of Hispanic Polyphony, ed. E. Ros-Fábregas (accession date: 01 Mar 2021), https://hispanicpolyphony.eu/taxonomy/term/9969