B-Bc 27086 bears an inscription identifying its copyist as Andreas Reinschall, a singer and scribe at Vienna Cathedral, the dedicatee being Juan de Borja, mayordomo mayor of Empress Dowager María of Austria, sister of Philip II and widow of Maximillian II.
This manuscript and B-Bc 27089 were in Vienna before Juan de Borja, accompanying Maria of Austria, returned in 1581 with the books to Spain, where both manuscripts became part of the music collection of the Royal Chapel; they were later purchased by the Duke of Lerma (Juan de Borja's nephew), appearing in a 1609 inventory of the San Pedro de Lerma collegiate church. The manuscripts ended up in the possession of chapelmaster Federico Olmeda (1865-1909), whose heirs sold his impressive library to the Leipzig bookdealer Hiersemann; Brussels Conservatoire bought the manuscripts from him in 1912.
Bibliography of source
How to cite
Emilio Ros-Fábregas, "B-Bc 27086", Books of Hispanic Polyphony, ed. E. Ros-Fábregas (accession date: 14 Apr 2021), https://hispanicpolyphony.eu/source/26044