Monasterio de Santa Ana, Ávila. Archivo
As explained in Vicente (1989) and Moreno Blanco (2015), the origin of the community of Cistercian nuns of Santa Ana in Ávila was the convent of San Clemente de Adaja, founded at the late 12th or early 13th century outside the city walls of Ávila. During the 14th century the convent moved to the central part of the town, where a new building was erected between 1331 and 1350. At least since 1432, the convent changed its name to Santa Ana and in 1502 its community was amalgamated with two other Cistercian convents in the town, those of Santa Escolástica and San Millán. Many nuns at Santa Ana came from noble or illustrious families.
In 1953 the community passed to the Trappist order and in 1978 moved to a new monastery on the outskirts south of Ávila, where its historical music archive is currently held. The old convent building, in the centre ot the town, was restored between 1987 and 1991, and currently houses offices of the Junta de Castilla y León (Autonomous Government of Castile and Leon).
The music catalogue of Santa Ana was published by Alfonso de Vicente in 1989, and it was completed in an article (2000) by the same author.
List of sources
|Source / Composers||MS / Print||Date|
|Anon. | Victoria, Tomás Luis de||MS, Print, MS & Print||16/3 (1572)|
|Lassus, Orlande de||16/4 (1578)|
|Palestrina, Giovanni Pierluigi da||16/4 (1591)|
|Palestrina, Giovanni Pierluigi da||16/4 (1593)|
|Palestrina, Giovanni Pierluigi da||16/4 (1594)|
|Palestrina, Giovanni Pierluigi da||16/4 (1595)|
|Guerrero, Francisco||16/4 (1597)|
|Anon. | Guerrero, Francisco | Ribera, Bernardino de||MS||16/4|
|Anon. | Ordóñez, Rodrigo | Pallarés, Antonio | Soria, Maestro | Victoria, Tomás Luis de||MS||16/4-17/1|
|Esteban de Castro, Marcos | Palestrina, Giovanni Pierluigi da | Victoria, Tomás Luis de||MS||17/1|
- 1 of 2
- next ›